NOTE: The Protectorate of New Antrim is no longer a part of the Republic of Molossia, nor is it extant at all. This page is presented for historical purposes only.

When T. Daniel Hess was promoted to the rank of Grand Admiral and invited to become a citizen of Molossia, he brought roughly 8 acres of property with him, allowing Molossia's government to formally annex the land holdings as a protectorate. This newly formed state was christened New Antrim in honor of Grand Admiral Hess' Irish history.

Grand Admiral Hess


Daniel II's father John moved to the United States from Antrim County in Northern Ireland in 1724. He settled in New York State where his wife gave birth to their first child, Daniel, who was named in honor of John's great grandfather, Daniel I. Daniel II moved to Pennsylvania, hoping to build a new life on the frontier.

In the Revolutionary War, Daniel II served with Company B, Northumberland Regiment, first as Lieutenant, then as Captain. Daniel II commanded Company B at the battle of Red Bank where he was wounded, being shot through the ear and given a slight scalp wound, the scar of which he would sometimes show to his descendants.

At the time of the Indian massacres of 1778, Daniel II was at Chillisquaque, Pennsylvania, having come on furlough to defend his family on the unprotected frontier. Taking his two horses, his wife, two children and a feather bed, he crossed the river that was swollen beyond its banks by a great freshet. The night was pitch dark and they could not see the opposite shore. "Daniel I cannot cross this dreadful river" said the young wife. "You must, else 'tis the river of death at the bloody hands of the Indians", her husband told her. Tied on her horse with rope about her waist in the hands of her husband, she shut her eyes and gripped her baby. She could hear her husband whispering to his horse as they swam the swift current "take us through, brave Bevan, take us through". She knew they had reached the shore when he said "God of mercies, I thank thee".

After being driven out by the Indians, Daniel II did not go back to the Chillisquaque but sought a place in what was then the unbroken wilderness of upper Fishing Creek Valley. In 1784 he made his first trip of exploration up the valley, following the Indian trail up the creek from the frontier settlement which is now the town of Bloomsburg, to choose the place where he and the generations after him should live.

The site he selected was on a slight elevation overlooking the creek and the valley at Stillwater. The town that exists there today was founded by Daniel II and the location of his original cabin is the present site of a very large manor home belonging to one of his descendants.

Early in 1785, Daniel II made his second trip up Fishing Creek. This time he took with him his axe, his gun and his dog and some grain for seed in his knapsack. All summer he labored, felling trees and building a log house. Daniel II purchased from the state something over a thousand acres of land. This tract was called "Manchester Manor" and with succeeding purchases extended through all of the Fishing Creek Valley. The property holdings of Manchester Manor are today almost completely owned by the descendants of Daniel II.

Hotel Hess

Benton, 1900

Bloomsburg and Sullivan Railroad

Benton Station

Benton Valley

Benton Dam

New Antrim North

New Antrim North is about 3 acres and is the administrative center of New Antrim. There you will find the Governor's Mansion as well as the Shady Hollow Wildlife Refuge. The Governor's Mansion sits atop a hill overlooking the Fishing Creek Valley, a constant reminder of the large breadth of land that was once owned by these august personages.

The Governor's Mansion

Dunluce Creek
New Antrim South

New Antrim South is located approximately three miles south of New Antrim North. It is a strip of land about five acres long that sits along Dunluce Creek. New Antrim South is utilized as tenant housing, with rents being paid directly to the government of New Antrim. There are currently three tenants living in three houses.


Kinbane Bridge (New Antrim South)

Kinbane Bridge is one of many covered bridges existing in the Fishing Creek Valley. They are a popular tourist attraction, many being well over a hundred years old. Kinbane Bridge is located in New Antrim South and runs across Dunluce Creek. It was built in Dunluce Creek by Grand Admiral Hess' great-great-great grandfather in 1849. It is fifteen feet and three inches wide with a span of 151 feet across Dunluce Creek. It incorporated the Theodore Burr design which has two long high arches anchored on abutments at each end and utilizes a multiple kingpost structure. In the photo the arch can be seen in the middle near the top of the bridge. This type of bridge construction was very common in Pennsylvania. The bridge floor or deck has a unique design consisting of a herringbone planking pattern. It is the only bridge in the county that has this design. Local authorities closed the bridge to vehicular traffic in 1951. However, it is open to pedestrian use, and there are picnic tables on the bridge for the public to use.

Kinbane Bridge

Kinbane Bridge

Shady Hollow Wildlife Refuge (New Antrim North)

One acre of land is still heavily forested and is used as a wildlife refuge. This shady valley has a small creek trickling through it. There was some commotion several years ago when a neighboring cattle farmer decided to move his cows through the wildlife refuge while transferring them from the pasture to his farm. The government of New Antrim came to an agreement with the farmer to ensure that no wildlife would be disturbed during the cattle drive.

Other locations outside of New Antrim:

Rickett's Glen Falls

Lake Jean
Rickett's Glen State Park

This area is a favorite hiking location of the Grand Admiral and his family. Ricketts Glen harbors Glens Natural Area, a National Natural Landmark. The Glens boasts a series of wild, free-flowing waterfalls, each cascading through rock-strewn clefts in this ancient hillside. The 94-foot Ganoga Falls is the highest of 22 named waterfalls. Old growth timber and diverse wildlife add to the scenic area. Ricketts Glen State Park is one of the most scenic areas in Pennsylvania. This large park is comprised of 13,050 acres in Luzerne, Sullivan and Columbia counties. Lake Jean is a secluded location within Rickett's Glen State Park. It will be a primary location for future naval exercises.